The cold desert of Leh Ladakh might bring down chills down your spines, but the ambient beauty of the place will definitely make it as one of the most beautiful cities you have visited in the world. The natural beauty and the serene surroundings makes it a place to rejuvenate yourself. The place definitely offers some popular tourist attractions which will make your trip worth the while. Many places for local sightseeing in Leh Ladakh are famous and let us give you a brief about some of the popular places which are must do during your travel.
Top Places for Local Sightseeing in Leh Ladakh
- Pangong Lake: The famous lake is present at a height of about 4350 meters and has a stretch of about 12 kilometers. During the winter season, the lake completely freezes due to low temperatures going as low as -5 degree celsius. A beautiful sight, it is home to a number of migratory birds, especially in the summer season. However, ducks and gulls can be seen here for months. The dazzling beauty of the lake mesmerises you and one can also do bonfire activities near the lake or camping activities.
- Kargil: A visit to the Kargil during your Leh Ladakh trip is a must. Located near the banks of the Indus river, Kargil is referred as a transient hub and is connected to Leh and Srinagar via roads. You can also enjoy some adventurous activities including mountaineering and trekking here. Best time to visit the Kargil city would be anywhere between May to July as temperature during the day time is cool.
- Khardung la pass: This is the highest motorable road in the world and leads to the Valley of Nubra and Shyok. Though it is the most difficult to road to pass, yet it is an adventurous journey in itself. It is best that you visit the Khardung la pass during the summer season anywhere from May to September when you can cross it with ease.
- Leh Palace: How can a visit to the city be complete without knowing and digging into its past. The leh palace takes you a road down the memory lane. Built in the year 17th century by Sengge Namgyal, the palace is built in the medieval tibetan architecture style. It is open for tourists till 4pm in the evening. It provides a breath-taking view of the city and different mountain ranges. The Museum houses artefacts over 450 years old.
- Magnetic hill: Another wonder creation in the Himalayas is the magnetic hill. If you keep your car in the neutral position exactly at the spot painted in white, it will start moving upward automatically. It is believed that here the force of gravity does not exists.
These are some of the best places to visit in Leh Ladakh and have a nice time with family and friends. This place definitely gives you the time to revive your senses and appreciate the beauty of all that surrounds it.